Wednesday, June 3, 2009

B.H.S.~Learn It, Live It, I Hate It

About a month ago Dylan slipped off his little fire truck and banged his head pretty bad on the tv cabinet knob. He let out a cry, and then stopped. Andrew and I flipped when we saw his mouth still open and his lips turning blue. After blowing in his face and giving him a light pounding on the back, we were lost on what to do. Andrew finally stuck his finger down his throat to gag him. Thank goodness for that gag reflex. Now, all this happened in about 45 seconds, but it was beyond freaky. It's happened more and more frequently since then, and always after he gets hurt. I took him into his pediatrician on Monday and was told that what he does is called a Breath-Holding Spell and is considered normal. Instead of gagging him, we should just lay him down on the floor and wait for him to pass out. Not exactly thrilling information. It hasn't happened since Monday and I'm debating whether or not to actually do what he said. I don't know if I can watch him pass out from it and just hope he starts breathing again. The last time it happened he turned away from us and got up on the couch, so I thought everything was ok. Then he started stumbling and falling over before we saw that he was blue again. I can't even imagine what was going through his mind. That would be terrifying for even me to go through. I guess I'll just have to deal with it if it happens again. Andrew did the same thing when he was Dylan's age. I guess that's comforting. Well despite the unsettling news I got at the doctor's office, I did get a few good things out of it. I've made it a habit that each time I take him to his pediatrician I take some pictures of him. Usually they've been of him just in his diaper because of the nurse's orders to strip him down, but I lucked out with these clothed ones. I can't get over how old he looks. Not at all like he's just 19 months.

I absolutely love that t-shirt. Pig Pen was always my favorite. It's funny to see it on him because he's a surprisingly clean kid. Takes after his mom :o)

No comments: